Setting Up a New Customer
Once a new customer has been identified, the Customer Sales Rep/Account Manager may request assistance from the Credit Department to setup the new customer in Keypoint
T1 Customer credit application
Saved Here: S:\CUSTOMER SETUP PACKET\2016 → "T1 Packet 2016- Authority, Bond, Insurance, Tax, Smartway"
The Customer Sales Rep/Account Manager should have their new customer complete the T1 Credit Application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Customer Rep/Account Manager can forward a completed credit application to credit@ if it is returned directly to the rep/manager
Required Information from the application includes:
- Average Load Value (above or below $100,000)
- Acceptance of Net 15 Payment Terms
- AP Contact Information
- Billing Methods & Instructions
- Credit References
Upon Receipt of the completed Credit Application, the Credit Manager is responsible to:
- Ensure the customer billing settings are correct in Keypoint
- Note agreed upon payment terms
1. Ideally, customers will agree to Net 15 payment terms and accept emailed invoices
- Assign the correct "Sales Person" to the Customer/Bill-To Record ('Information Tab' of the record(s))
1. "Sales Person" is the Customer Sales Manager or Account Manager
- Enter the AP Contact information, and T1 'billing address' for emailing invoices
- Save Credit References and any other customer-submitted documents to the 'Objects Tab' of the Customer Record
- Note any special notification requirements (especially for submitting accessorials) on the 'Comments Tab' of the Customer Record
- On the 'AR Tab,' mark YES if the customer accepts emailed invoices
- Update the 'Customer Billing Guide' with the new customer's information and billing instructions
Establishing Customer Credit
DNBi: Run a credit check on the customer within DNBi. Complete the "D&B Report Form" for every customer
Areas to Check
- Commerical Credit Score: 1-2 = Good; 3 = Okay; 4 = Caution; 5 = DNU
- Financial Stress Score: 1-2 = Good; 3 = Okay; 4 = Caution; 5 = DNU
- Paydex Score: Below 65 = DNU
- Trade Payments: Specific experiences reported
- High Credit Average: Use this as a reference point to determine T1 credit level
- Save the Customer in DNBi so we can automatically monitor their credit 24/7
Once the D&B Report Form is complete, save it to the Customer Record on the 'Objects Tab'
Based upon D&B credit report:
Determine line of credit we are willing to extend and set accordingly in Keypoint:
AR → Inquiry → Open Account Inquiry
Enter customer’s “bill to” abbreviation
Enter desired Credit Limit
Determine Customer “Tier”. See “Customer Tier Assignments” for setting new customer’s tier.
To set what tier a customer has been ranked:
Go to customer records in Keypoint
Go to the information tab
In the bottom right corner, enter a 1,2, or 3 in the the first “flag” box to indicate the assigned tier.
Also update specific Customer Rep/Account Manager’s “Tier Assignment” report
If little or no information is available on DnBi, credit department may require Customer Rep to call credit references.
If credit references are required, have the reference complete the “Credit Reference Form” saved on the Shared drive. The customer rep may complete this for the reference if they speak with the reference on the phone.
Completed credit references should be sent to T1 Credit department in order to establish credit.
All credit reports and references will be saved in the “Customer Record” in Keypoint on the “Objects” Tab.
Releasing a customer from Credit Hold
If you receive a notification from a customer or carrier rep that a customer is on credit hold, they will need you to release the load from credit hold prior to being able to book it.
Credit will only be extended when we know customers will be paying in a timely manner.
If no credit references have been collected yet:
Ensure credit reference contact information is on file. Ask customer rep to contact references from at least two companies. Use “Credit Reference Form” when completing references.
Attach credit references to customer “objects” tab.
If credit references have already been collected:
assess the credit limits based upon their payment history.
If D&B report saved in file is over 1 year old, new D&B report should be run
As necessary, ask customer to expedite payment on oldest loads.
Loads should not be released to the Carrier Sales boards until credit limits have been assessed and adjusted as deemed appropriate.
AR → Utilities → Credit Limit Maintenance
Enter customer’s “bill to” abbreviation
Double click on the load requested to be released, and confirm release
Monitoring Customers’ Credit
Reports from DnBi are regularly emailed when customers’ credit ratings change
If a customer’s Commercial Credit Score or Financial Stress Score drops below 3:
If it drops to a “4” note the customer record with the date and the change - and note “book with caution”. Be careful not to release too many “credit holds” for this customer until credit improves.
If it drops to a “5” note the customer record with the date and the change - and note “DNU”. Then put the customer on DNU until credit improves.
Notify Customer rep/account manager if a customer goes on DNU.
Monitoring T1’s Credit
It is important to monitor T1’s credit rankings on a variety of websites to ensure we are staying in good standing.
Every credit website should be monitored at least once a month, and challenges to our credit rankings made as necessary.
At the bottom of the page select “Update My information”
“Challenge payment records”
you can challenge up to 5 negative payment records at once.
Our credit report is saved under “My Credit Portfolio”.
We should always have a score in the 90’s or higher.